Profession: Poet & Philosopher
Year Of Birth: 30 September 1207
Year Of Death: 17 December 1273
Who is Rumi? Why is he famous?
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī, also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī. Rumi was a man who many looked up to in his time, even now his fame never died. Many people all over the world search his name on the internet, he has made a mark on the world. His has written many poems in his time which has been translated into many languages. ‘One of the most popular poet’ in the world. Many people read his poem in his original language he writ it in, across greater Iran and the Persian speaking world. His poems has great meanings, we should all read some of his work, it will truly enlighten us in many ways.
- “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” – Rumi
- “There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground; there are a thousand ways to go home again.” – Rumi
- “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.” – Rumi
- “It’s your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” – Rumi
- “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.” – Rumi
- “The Prophets accept all agony and trust it. For the water has never feared the fire.” – Rumi
- “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
- “Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots.” – Rumi
- “Take someone who doesn’t keep score,
who’s not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing,
who has not the slightest interest even
in his own personality: he’s free.” – Rumi
- “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi
- “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean, in a drop.” – Rumi
- “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.” – Rumi
- “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.” – Rumi
- “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.” – Rumi
- “These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.” – Rumi
- “Your heart knows the way. Run in that direction.” – Rumi
- “Everything that is made beautiful and fair and lovely is made for the eye of one who sees.” – Rumi
- “Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.” – Rumi
- “Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.” – Rumi
- “Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. Cleverness is mere opinion. Bewilderment brings intuitive knowledge.” – Rumi
- “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.” – Rumi
- “Don’t wait any longer.
Dive in the ocean,
Leave and let the sea be you.” – Rumi
- “In silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and see how the pattern improves.” – Rumi
- “When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.
Praise God for those two insomnias!
And the difference between them.” – Rumi
- “Why should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my being is in full bloom.” – Rumi
- “I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.” – Rumi
- “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi
- “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah… it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.” – Rumi
- “This being human is a guest house. Every morning is a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor…Welcome and entertain them all. Treat each guest honorably. The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.” – Rumi
- “This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.” – Rumi
- “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
- “Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious. I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now on I’ll be mad.” – Rumi
- “Be like the sun for grace and mercy. Be like the night to cover others’ faults. Be like running water for generosity. Be like death for rage and anger. Be like the Earth for modesty. Appear as you are. Be as you appear.” – Rumi
- “Would you become a pilgrim on the road of love? The first condition is that you make yourself humble as dust and ashes.” – Rumi
- “Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn’t matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.” – Rumi
- “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
- “And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?” – Rumi
- “I am so close, I may look distant.
So completely mixed with you, I may look separate.
So out in the open, I appear hidden.
So silent, because I am constantly talking with you.” – Rumi
- “Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wild flowers will come up where you are.” – Rumi
- “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.” – Rumi
- “You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.” – Rumi
- “Your depression is connected to your insolence and refusal to praise.” – Rumi
- “And so it is, that both the devil and the angelic spirits present us with objects of desire to awaken our power of choice.” – Rumi
- “I have been a seeker and I still am, but I stopped asking the books and the stars. I started listening to the teaching of my Soul.” – Rumi
- “Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.” – Rumi
- “I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways.” – Rumi
- “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.” – Rumi
- “Study me as much as you like, you will not know me, for I differ in a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see.” – Rumi
- “The spirit is so near that you can’t see it! But reach for it… don’t be a jar, full of water, whose rim is always dry. Don’t be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him.” – Rumi
- “Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you.” – Rumi
- “Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” – Rumi
- “Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.” – Rumi
- “Love is the bridge between you and everything.” – Rumi
- “Dancing is not just getting up painlessly, like a leaf blown on the wind; dancing is when you tear your heart out and rise out of your body to hang suspended between the worlds.” – Rumi
- “There is a life-force within your soul, seek that life. There is a gem in the mountain of your body, seek that mine. O traveller, if you are in search of that, don’t look outside, look inside yourself and seek that.” – Rumi
- “Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.” – Rumi
- “Why do you stay in prison, when the door is so wide open?” – Rumi
- “The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi
- “If the foot of the trees were not tied to earth, they would be pursuing me. For I have blossomed so much, I am the envy of the gardens.” – Rumi
- “The moment you accept what troubles you’ve been given, the door will open.” – Rumi